A Scent Core candle is made of soy wax – this burns differently to a paraffin wax candle. A Scent Core candle has been designed to burn cleanly, evenly and effortlessly so that you can enjoy the glow longer.
A few simple ways to get the most out of your Scent Core candle experience;
- Before the first light ensure you have a few hours available to burn the candle whilst attended. Ideally choose a quiet evening or weekend – it’s all about enjoying the experience anyway.
- Place your candle on a flat, flame retardant surface, away from drafts, children, pets, curtains, furniture, etc. Use common sense.
- Light your candle with a long fireplace match or grill lighter. This is recommended, as short matches will likely burn your fingers and the jar, creating a black film on the jar. This does not affect the function of your candle, but can be unsightly. After use, wipe the jar clean with a paper towel so that it is ready to glow for the next use.
- Now this is the best part… Did you know that soy has memory? It’s really smart! Here’s why: When lighting your candle for the first time, and each time thereafter, allow the wax to melt all the way out to the diameter of it’s container. Once the melted wax reaches the glass, allow it to melt until 1/4” deep. This is called a melt pool. This is also where all of that fragrant aroma is released. If you cannot smell the aroma, it means that the jar is too small for the area. Consider placing a couple candles in one room to increase it’s aromatic benefit.
- Keep your wick trimmed to 1/4”. Occasionally, mushrooming may occur. This is okay and simply means that there is a build up of carbon or a draft. This usually occurs when the candle is richly scented or contains vanillin (ex Blueberry Cobbler, Maine Maple Syrup). After the candle is extinguished, allow wick to harden and carefully trim to 1/4”. Do not allow wick trimming to fall into wax, as this can create a fire hazard. It’s just not good candle care!
- Scent Core candles come in a range of colours – on request we do create plain candles for the most natural experience. This does not mean that soy remains white. Dependent upon the fragrance, soy can take on different hues of white, cream and sometimes yellow. Rest assured that this is due to the fragrance used and typically occurs with scents high in vanillin.
- Discard your candle once the remaining wax reaches 1/2” deep.
- Soy is a living organism. It continues to expand, contract and change from its current form. It may also look frosted. These ‘flaws’ are normal and it is a clear indication that you have purchased a 100% all natural soy candle. Hey, we can’t all be perfect!
Soy has memory. If your candle is extinguished prior to allowing a full melt pool, all future melt pools will not go past the first one. Keep the wick trimmed to approximately 1/4”. Never leave a burning candle unattended or within reach of flammable objects, children or pets. Do not burn more than 4 hours. Discard when 1/2” wax remains.